Sunday, January 19, 2014

Be Here Now


I have to admit I’m suffering from a bit of writer’s block this week.  It’s not as if I’ve suddenly run out of material to draw upon, there are probably a half a dozen or so scenarios that I could examine and write about.  The problem is none of them are really jumping out at me, so here I sit.

This morning I read an article titled “Present Moment Awareness” - I’ll take that as a hint.  It seems like we spend most of our day preparing for what is about to happen or examining what just happened.  Why don’t we allow ourselves to just sit?  For most people this is very hard.  You end up feeling guilty like you should be doing something rather than "wasting" time doing nothing.

Life’s busy, we all agree on that.  Most of us would also agree that if we don’t spend time planning then there is no way that it will all get done.  But how can we keep up with such a frantic pace?  At some point if you don’t stop and look around at where you are, you’re not going to know where you are going or if you’re even on the right path. 

There’s a reason people tell you to stop.  Take a deep breath.  Be in the simple moment of inhaling.  Then exhaling.  It is refreshing.  It stops you in your tracks.  It’s both relaxing and energizing at the same time. 

One of my coworker’s used to remind us to “Be here now”.  So simple, yet so difficult.  Give the present moment your full attention without thinking three steps ahead.  It takes practice and discipline.  You can start small by choosing one moment in your day to pause, take a deep breath, then sit back and enjoy. 

These moments are priceless.  I appreciate that you took some of your time to read this.  I hope you find at least one opportunity today to take a deep breath and be fully in the moment.

Heart-FULLy yours, 

Kacey

No comments:

Post a Comment