Tuesday, November 25, 2014

THANKSgiving

I was talking to someone last weekend and she said “I don’t really like Thanksgiving.  There’s nothing I love about the food and my family never really did anything to celebrate the thanks part of it, so I’ve just really never liked it as a holiday.”  For a moment I was stunned into silence.  It may have been the first time in my life that anyone ever said they didn’t “like” Thanksgiving.  I didn’t really know what to say or how to respond.  Luckily another friend was also in the conversation and replied with her family traditions, so I was off the hook for thinking of something to say to this woman.

I know that times are tough for a lot of people.  It’s hard to find things to be thankful for when you or someone you love is dealing with health issues, or the loss of a loved one, or hard times financially, or a rough patch at work or school or in a relationship.  Thanksgiving is no miracle day where all of that disappears and everything is perfect…. 

However, Thanksgiving is the only day where our entire country comes to a near standstill to celebrate all that we have to be grateful for.  The magnitude of that statement brings tears to my eyes.  It’s one day to celebrate the positive.  There is no other day like it, which is why I feel bad for those that don’t take the opportunity to recognize their own good fortune.  And by fortune I don’t mean money, but the good fortune of this life you are living, the opportunity that you have been given and for the people that are in your life – past, present and future.
 

In her blog post this week Marie Forleo summed it up best:
Gratitude is simply a deep and genuine sense of appreciation for what you have in your life. For things big and small. For the air you breathe; the unconditional love of your pet; for blessing of someone who loves you.
And this shouldn’t just be an intellectual or mental exercise, it should touch you and fill you up emotionally.
Because when you genuinely fill yourself up with the emotion of appreciation, it changes how you feel and it completely alters the actions you take and, therefore, the results you’ll create.

I love that, true gratitude fills “you up emotionally”.  And when you are filled up it changes everything about your perspective, how you feel, how you act and in turn “the results you’ll create”.  Powerful stuff.

So whatever you do to celebrate – sleep in, not go to work, eat turkey, watch football, go to the movies, stand in line for a great deal or gather in a group big or small – please take a moment, to reflect and remember the reason for the day.  And most importantly share it with your kids.  Talk to them about what they are thankful for no matter how big or how small.  Don’t miss out on such an easy opportunity to have a great conversation with them.  You will be thankFULL that you did.     

This is also a perfect time for me to express my gratitude to you for reading my blog.  It means more to me than you will ever know.  I truly appreciate that you take the time to read my thoughts and ideas and for that I am thankFULL. J 

Heart-FULLy yours, 

Kacey

No comments:

Post a Comment