Saturday, May 31, 2014

Win or lose, I will always do my best


Before every softball game we said the Pledge of Allegiance followed by the Little League Pledge:

I trust in God, I love my country and will respect its laws

I will play fair, and strive to win

But win or lose, I will always do my best.


I was reminded of those words last night as I watched my daughter's team lose in the tournament semi-finals.  They were a great team that had a great season.  They battled until the very last out and ended up losing 4-3, a score that rarely happens in 10 and under softball.  As they stood along the base paths to receive their participation medals, the tears glistened in some of the player’s eyes.  My daughter stood there proudly, not a tear in sight.  It was only afterwards, as she consoled her teammates that the tears started.  She was sad that they were sad.  She’s always been our empathetic heart, feeling the emotions of her friends around her ever since she was a baby at day care.  Now on the softball field it’s no different.

I recently watched a wonderful interview with Dr. Shefali Tsabary where she talked about her book “The Conscious Parent”.  There were many ideas she brought up that really make you think about parenting in a whole different way and I can’t wait to read the book.  But one of the things that stood out was when she said “Our children are showing us a mirror to our undeveloped self.”  It’s a powerful, multi-layered statement.  Think about it and you’ll really examine your interactions with your children.  She goes on to say that traditionally the parental role focuses on the parent teaching the child, but in reality it is the child that teaches the parent. 

Never was that more true during this softball season.  In talking with a good friend about our past softball days, she described me as “intense”.  I know that’s accurate and have tried really hard not to reflect that intensity on my daughter.  From the beginning I stepped back and let her set the tone.  The season started with her getting hurt during her first practice.  It would have been easy for her to give up and quit, but she showed that she was tough and kept going.  She only got a couple hits all season, but she never let it get her down.  She stepped into the batter’s box and gave every pitch her all.  She was a great teammate, always cheering, always friendly and always smiling.  Most important, she had fun.  She never recited the Little League Pledge, turns out she didn’t have to.  “Always do my best” came naturally to her and I couldn’t be more proud.

Heart-FULLy yours, 

Kacey

No comments:

Post a Comment