Saturday, September 7, 2013

Just Do "It"

I am not the first person to write about this topic and I certainly will not be the last.  It is something we all know that we are guilty of, yet every day we continue to do it.  Any guesses?
 
Time flies and with each passing day/week/month there is something that you wanted to do but didn’t have the time.  I’m going to call that something, or things, “it”.
 
Why is this concept so incredibly hard?  There are books, articles, Facebook posts and inspirational pins reminding us daily of how precious time is.  However, I’m sure it would only take you 10 seconds name one “it” you weren’t able to get to this week.  Just to be clear, I’m not talking about chores or required activities when I’m referring to “it”.  It is the phone call, the email, the get well card, the lunch date, the yoga class, the “fill-in-the-blank”, that gets pushed aside when everyday life takes over.
 
So what can you do?  You do what you think is impossible…..you create time.  Sure, you may not be able to add another hour to the day, but when you make the commitment to yourself to get “it” done, you can discover time where there appeared to be none.  The surprising thing is that most “its” don’t have to take a lot of time.  If you’ve been wanting to reach out and say hi to someone, send them a quick text, thinking of u.  Or call them during your commute/dance lessons/soccer practice.  If they don’t answer, leave a message that will bring a smile to their face.  We often wait for the perfect time to do “it” and the longer we wait for that perfect time, the more time passes and “it” doesn’t get done.
 
This week I did something completely out of character.  I took a half day in the middle of the week (insert jaw drop).  I went to the school and pulled my son out at lunch time (insert second jaw drop).  Then we went to a baseball game.  In the middle of the day.  While my inbox was filling up.  While meetings were happening without me.  While his class practiced writing the letter “T”.  We cheered on the team, got a game ball, ate a giant cookie and watched in wide eyed wonder as the players walked just feet in front of us.  “It” was worth every second.
 
I realize that my example is a pretty big “it”, but in all honesty without the nudge from my boss, I wouldn’t have done “it”.  I proved to myself that the time is there, you just have to make “it” the priority.  “It” may cause you to juggle some things, or work a different schedule, but the feeling you get when you do “it” is beyond words.  The things that keep you busy will come and go, but the connections you make with the people in your life live in your heart forever.

What “it” will you do today?

Heart-FULLy yours, 

Kacey

No comments:

Post a Comment